Monday, April 06, 2009

Back to Cave Girl+Cheese

So, I meandered right back to CaveGirl+cheese mode after the fast with nary a hint of unbridled cookie lust or desire to fall face first into chocolate. Instead, it was back to the healthy vittles and I felt great all day. I have to say I had lots of energy and wasn't hungry aside from when it was time to eat. Kinda cool.

I got asked by someone who's new to working out and whatnot if I count calories or just make better choices. And because I am verbose at best and annoying at worst, it got me onto the subject of baby steps. Four years ago, if you would have tossed paleo and intermittent fasting at me, I would have lost my ever lovin' mind. And right now, I have to say it's almost easy.

I see it like a rubber band. You stretch it and stretch it and stretch it but if you stretch it to hard, too fast, it snaps and hurts your finger. But, if you take it slow and gradually add pressure to the band, you can pull it pretty far without any fear of zapping yourself with it.

I would guess everyone has a slightly different rubber band. Some are stretchier and more forgiving than others. For me, I had to take my time to get to the point where I could have a high level of compliance with a program that is essentially very strict. Other people might be able to jump into it no problem. Others might do best on something like The Zone, which for me would spell disaster in about 2.5 seconds (my adventures in extreme calorie counting and macro obsession I'll save for another time). A large part of figuring it all out is trial and error and slowly finding what works best for you, not just in terms of how your body responds, but how you emotionally respond to living that way.

Enough navel gazing. Tonight's workout:

Back squats at 10x45, 5x95, 3x135 and 3x5x150
Deadlifts at 5x95, 5x 135, 5x185 (all with double overhand, didn't need snatch grip!)
Handstands - Crystal helped me out and I didn't piss myself in fear being upside down propped against a wall. PROGRESS!

Heavy MetCon
5 rounds of
5 65lb power snatches (modded down from the prescribed 95lbs)
5 55lb bell swings (yikes!)
5 burpees (yay burpees)

I was the slow poke of the bunch at 10:28. It felt freaking awesome being back in the gym. Deloading week was a bitch, mentally. I needed a CrossFit fix.

Stuff I found awesome today:
Uncle Karl, Advice Columnist
I09's Dollhouse Review
Because birth control is SO. LIKE. CRACK. Or, you know, a shiv.
If Odysseus had a Twitter account

2 comments:

Pam said...

Glad to have found your blog Leya. I really like your rubber band analogy. I am would relate myself to the very thick hard to stretch pink rubber bands that come wrapped around my broccoli.

Leya said...

I think I have the same rubber band that you do, Pam!