Friday, June 04, 2010

Sweet merciful crap! CFR made it to the 2010 Games!


Regionals was another awesome experience.  Seeing so many athletes competing at such a high level and giving it their all was really motivating and exciting.  It was a different vibe than sectionals, for sure.  The venues felt a bit more charged up and you could tell the stakes were higher.  I am so proud of how our individual competitors did over the course of the three days.  Each one gave it their all and fought as hard as they could.  The represented the gym and themselves so well.

For us affiliate team peeps, the workload was a lot lighter than in individual competition and I found I was way less nervous.  It was so good knowing that I was out there with three other team members and two more were cheering from the sidelines.  I just had to go hard with light weight in short bursts, which is so different from my comfort zone of longer, heavier and being able to just keep going.  The toughest time for me was WOD 2 and watching the team kick serious ass without me!  And they did kick some serious ass, coming in third with gorgeous, consistent cleans and ring dips. 


(CrossFit Regina’s Affiliate Team... love this pic of Julie's)

So, now that we’ve earned a spot to the 2010 Games with a 5th place finish for all of Canada (yep, pretty cool!), I’m trying to figure out what I can do over the next 40 or so days to be ready for whatever CFHQ decides to throw at us. 

I’m doing another quick lean out for the next four weeks to see if I can snag a muscle up or HSPU with another 8lbs off my frame.  What I managed to drop between sectionals and regionals made a big difference in the amount of speed I could toss into bodyweight movements.  Burpees suck way less and things like pull ups and ring dips have taken a nice, big jump. Like, a few months ago, I could manage ring dips in a WOD in singles with lots of rest in between.  Here I am post Isabel and 3x400m sprints.  It's not a PR but I'm happy with eight consecutive for shits and giggles while fatigued.



I’m also just going to throw myself into some of the accessory work on the oly lifts to try and fix some issues with my triple extension.  Gotta finish that shrug hard to get the bar going up instead of out in front. 
Then there’s just being hyper critical of what I’m doing, where I’m wasting time and then tweaking to get things faster.  For example, there was way too much time with the bar in the rack position between the clean and jerk on the Okotoks tire flip WOD the other day.  Sometimes in the middle of workouts, I just kind of get into what I’m doing and let myself go and I need to work to keep myself more present in what’s going on and pushing even harder.
For the games themselves, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I want some hard, heavy crazy WODs to tear into (and some muscle ups for Robin).  At the end of the last WOD, OPT came up and told us that we’re a STRONG gym.  And we are.  It would be fun to break that out and show what we can do in a heavy metcon.  But we’re also a pretty balanced team with any number of our members with speed, skill and, despite rumours to the contrary, decent cardio too.
I’m really looking forward to going down to see what it’s like at the Games.  And I’m even more excited to share that experience with my awesome team mates!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Yay Muscle-ups!!