Thank you, FunBobby! Yesterday's Intergalactic Throwdown c/o CrossFit SubZero was a seriously fun competition with great, well-planned workouts. I don't think I've ever hurt this much the day after, though. I mean, I thought I was busted up after 7 minutes of thrusters at Sectionals but now I realize that was only a small fraction of the ouch I have going on today. Everything hurts. EVERYTHING!
First off, I just wanted to say it was fantastic seeing people who've never done a competition before come out and throw themselves into a three-a-day! These WODs were some of the hardest I've ever seen programmed into a competition. I mean, we really could have stopped at SuperBeast, given ourselves a pat on the back for taking on something that nuts, and gone home feeling damned proud for just showing up. But then we came back to the gym for more. And then a little more after that! Kick ass! There were some amazing displays of awesomeness yesterday and I am very proud of our CrossFit Regina crew.
As I mentioned, the first WOD was aptly named SuperBeast:
3 rounds of
30 double unders
20 chest-to bar pull-ups
10 chest-to-deck burpees
Then
10 deadlifts 315/205lbs (dropping bar after lockout is permitted)
10 clean and jerks 185/125lbs
for time, with 17 minute time cap
It felt like I was on the pull up bar pretty much the entire time. C2B PLUs are still a goat for me and so I was pretty pleased that I only had two failed reps in the last round. The burpees were easy as were the double unders. The deads felt really heavy by the time I got to them and I couldn't string any of them together, which I had expected to do. I've been off heavy deads and squats for a month to get the hammie healed up for sectionals so perhaps that's why they felt challenging? The part I was nervous about was the jerk. Originally when I read the WOD, I just read power cleans and thought SCORE! I love power cleans and 125 is a nice weight. The night before, I realized there were jerks. D'oh! My 1RM is about that weight and I've only gotten it once and it was ugly. I got about 4 or 5 cleans but only one exceedingly ugly jerk. I honestly thought my ribs were going to pop out. Definitely something I'll be working on between now and Sectionals (yay for Jamie and his offer of training on Saturdays!). Afterwards, Paul came over and laughed at me saying that he thought my jerk was mostly fixed. Only at a lighter weight, aparently! My score was 3 rnds +11.
At 2:00pm we reconvened at the gym for Captain Intensity and Franklin. They were as follows:
“CAPTAIN INTENSITY”
Combined score of these two events completed in 10 minutes:
4 minutes of rowing for total meters
1 rep max front squat
Notes: athlete has 5 minutes to post best weight lifted taken from rack loaded by the athlete
total score is reached by adding meters and pounds lifted
10 minute time period includes 1 minute transition from rower to squat rack and for
volunteer to clear plates off bar from previous athlete
“FRANKLIN”
Max reps in 7 minutes of
Handstand Push-ups
and/or Back Squats 135/95lbs
Notes: squat bar will be taken from the floor and the athlete has a choice of the two movements and you can split reps however you like, scoring is 1 point for a back squat 2 points for HSPU
I pushed pretty hard on the rower. My strokes were hella inefficient but I was trying to save my legs for the squat madness afterwards and instead aimed for a strong pull with the arms and back. I got 1035m, which I was cool with considering I'm of hobbit stock (hairy feet and short stature doesn't make for good rowing) and then went to go attempt a decent front squat. Yep... I way overestimated what I could do. Tried for 175lbs and failed. Then I just did 115 to get on the board (um, good thing, too) and then loaded the bar to 165 and failed again. WTF! I thought I was supposed to be good at squats. At this point, I had little time left on the clock. I tried loading the bar to 155 but the timer beeped before I could even get the plates on the bar. My score was 1150. Lesson learned. Don't get greedy. Start at a lower weight and built up, not scale back and get frustrated. LOL!
The last workout was seven minutes of squats. I can't do HSPUs strict, kipping or after sucking on a helium balloon. So, the plan was to just squat. And then squat some more. And then keep on squatting after that. Kat was awesome and came over to shout at me to keep moving. I dropped the bar twice, once at the 5 minute mark and again at the 6 minute mark. The quads were burning but it was the weight on my back that was getting to me. I did 104 and that was my score. I wouldn't have got the last four or so if it hadn't been for the cheering because all I wanted to do was never squat again.
After, Ang asked if I wanted to do one of the tests she needs to do for work. Since it didn't involve squats, I was game! We had to do max DHPLUs, rest one minute, max PU, rest one minute, max SU, rest one minute and then max ring dips. She told me what the minimum numbers were (5, 30, 40 and 10 respectively) so I went for that and got it. Good times!
Two days later, I still can't walk without looking like an old man who's crapped his pants.
The photos are c/o CrossFit Regina and were posted to Facebook.


No comments:
Post a Comment